Thursday, July 11, 2013

Front Suspension

July 11, 2013 -

Put in the upper control arm (UCA) and shock absorber. The big thing I have learned so far is if you are having trouble stop and search the forum on ffcars.com as people before you have probably already dealt with whatever it is. The other things I learned:
- The frame gets in the way of getting a wrench or socket on the aft nut for the UCA mounting. You'll need to rubber mallet a flat head screwdriver so that it is wedged between the nut and the frame to hold the nut in place. I thought it best to have the nut turn into the upper/wider part of the screwdriver.
- The spacers for the lower shock mounting are too big to fit in there. You'll need to file them down. Keep filing until it isn't that hard, otherwise you'll try and mallet it all together and that will make your life more difficult than it needs to be.
- Make sure you use the longer bolts for the top shock mount and the shorter ones for the lower shock mount. I don't know why the manual doesn't state that. Once you put the long one in the bottom you'll think it looks funny and when you put the short one in the top you'll know it's too short and you screwed up.
- Lastly, what I *didn't* learn was how you are supposed to fit or adjust the UCA adjustment bars. I sort of eye balled it to middle of the road and am assuming later on I'll see how I need to change it. I tightened things down just a little and it all looks accessible for later adjustment.



No comments:

Post a Comment