Thursday, September 5, 2013

Brakes

September 5, 2013 -

  It has been a while since I posted but a few things have been done. I got the front and rear flexible brake lines attached.  Pictured below is the rear:

 
  Next up were the brake reservoirs.  I have two and would advise anyone doing this project to spend the extra money for the second.  Having two will keep the front and rear brake line systems completely separate so that if a line were to leak and brakes go out (front for example), you should have the other (rear) still functional.  I deviated from the manual on placing the reservoirs for a few reasons. The manual puts the one reservoir on the driver's front foot box panel.  That was a crowded area.  The second reservoir would have had to go too far outboard and would be left under the body, making a tough compromise between being low enough to get the cap off and high enough to make sure the fluid flowed down to the master cylinder. So here they are on the nice thick firewall I got from FF Metal.


  Lastly, I thought my front wheels (rotors) were toe'd outward too much. The only way to really fix that was to take off the steering tie rod and screw it in further.  This is a little time consuming but gave me the chance to access the grease nipple on the tie rod end to put grease in there which I didn't do before initially installing.  Tip for getting the tie rod off- loosen the bracket it attaches to from the spindle, then use both a hammer and a rubber mallet by hitting the bolt downward with the mallet and the bracket upward with the hammer simultaneously.  It sounds crazy but if you do them both at the same time you really don't have to hit either one that hard. In this picture you can also see I temporarily mounted the steering wheel to check that the front flexible brake lines didn't get in the way of steering or suspension when turning the wheels lock to lock.



No comments:

Post a Comment