Saturday, June 11, 2016

Dead Pedal - Heater Wiring - Body Finish

June 11, 2016 -

  I haven't posted in a little while but that doesn't mean I wasn't doing anything.  I'm not sure if this is in the right order but I used Comet, hot water, and Scotch brite (rough side of sponge) to scrub off the wax left from the fiberglass mold process.  Then I used a little drum roll sanding piece on a Dremel to take down the edge that sticks up from the body.  Its not a seam of fiberglass panels coming together but rather the excess fiberglass that was pushed into the seam of the mold in which the body was formed.  I didn't quite take it all the way down to be smooth as I think I'll leave that to the paint and body shop but I didn't bring it down so that it won't cut you.  (Yes I cut my finger pretty good on it while scrubbing before putting gloves on.)


  I also cleaned up the wiring under the dash on the passenger side.  There was a lot of wiring for the heater controls just hanging down.  I tackled this by drilling a hole in the top of the inside of the interior of the glove box.  Then I created a zip tie loop through that.  Then I created two more zip tie loops making a chain behind the glove box that reach down and hold up all the wires.  The chain was needed to cover the long length from the top of the glove box.  I did this because that was the center of the horizontal droop of the wires and there was nothing else I could find to loop a zip tie to up above.  Note that I made a hole to the right of the glove box's locking slot.  The lock's rotating tab comes up and into it's slot from the left and I didn't want the zip tie to interfere with that action.  Here's a close-up of the zip tie hole. (This is a pretty custom idea I just came up with on the spot. The forum might've had better or different ideas but this seems to work well.)


  Here is what the cockpit looks like with the wires cleaned up.  The level of the camera is the top of the seats (pretty low) so if you can't see wires there, then no one should see them sitting in the seats.  The controls are just clipped onto the dash there for now. I'm not convinced yet on where I want to put them.


  I spent several days of charging and cutting with the Dremel's cutting wheel to cut through the left side of the driver's footbox to put in the dead pedal I bought.  I guess one could make their own dead pedal and maybe even one with a flex point so the angle of the pedal could change but I bought this one on Dark Water's custom parts site and I'm pretty happy with it so far.  After multiple charge cycles I had the front edge, top and bottom cut for the square hole. I decided to leave the flap that was cut because, it fit, it had sound dampening and heat shield covering on it already, and why no have something stronger if you can?  Today I finished drilling the holes and riveting in the dead pedal box.  I cut myself a couple times before putting gloves on.  (This should sound familiar from earlier in this post although that was a couple weeks ago before. But word of advice, wear gloves.)  Drilling and riveting in the footbox was a contorted job but hey what isn't in this little car?  I think it came out nice though.  And just those two extra inches bumped out for your left foot feels nice!


No comments:

Post a Comment