Sunday, July 13, 2014

Kill Switch

July 13, 2014 -

  Today I put in the battery kill switch.  This took a long time as I wired in a type II self resetting 20 amp breaker in parallel with the switch.  This took several trips to stores (ran out of electrical tape too.)  I enclosed the power cable in a protective plastic sheath that comes with the kit and zip tied it up in the transmission tunnel away from the drive shaft.  I also cut the cable to length but ran shy of totally finishing this as I need to buy a larger ring connector to solder on.  I also had to cut and file a hole for the kill switch (which took an extra dremel recharging.)  But here is the switch in the center rear cockpit area.


  I've read that this can count as a theft deterrent device and help discount your insurance.  It is partly for that and partly to prevent electrical fire in case of component failure.  The breaker is there to allow a little power for the computer's memory and other auxiliary things like a clock to stay on with the switch open.
  I also put a little of the thermal protection on the wires and plug that go into the alternator as they were very close to the header.


No comments:

Post a Comment